Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I survived

I taught seminary yesterday and today and I'm still alive. :) My friend that subs also kept telling me that 4th hour is a nightmare, so I was worried about that. Then yesterday, every class leading up to that class would mention something about 4th hour and I'd say "I've heard." I guess there's two boys in the class that are trouble makers. So they came and we started class...and they listened...and they participated when I asked them too...and they were GOOD! I actually enjoyed this class the most. My friend called and asked how it went and I told her they were good. She said maybe they just didn't know me so they didn't act up. I thought the same thing, so I wondered about the next day. They came and were a bit more comfortable before class started, they talked a lot and one sat on his desk, I wondered if I was going to have to ask him to get down. Once we started...they both sat down...listened...participated. Hmmmm. My lesson the first day was on angels, I think I had help from some don't you think??? Yah. I really enjoyed teaching them. Today our lesson was on D&C 130, which talked about the Godhead, the Urim and Thumim, the second coming, and about what we can take with us when we die - our knowledge and covenants and so forth. It was a lot crammed into one lesson. I enjoyed reading, studying and learning about these things. In verse 18 where it talks about how whatever intelligence we gain in this life we keep it with us in the next - in the lesson plan it had this idea to have two glass jars (or glass bowls like I used), fill one with a little water representing a persons life. Then you put worldly things into the jar this person enjoyed, car keys to represent a car, a ring to represent jewelry, coins to represent money. They tell them that this person died unexpectedly as you pour it all out into a strainer which is over the other bowl. Ask how the strainer represents death - you can't take your worldly possessions with you. Then do it again putting everything into the water again - things they enjoyed on earth, BUT this time also add drops of food coloring (or sprinkle kool-aid powder like me :) and list off things she did also, like read her scriptures, prayed, graduated from college, married in the temple, etc. Then she dies, pour everything into the strainer over the other bowl again, and they see that she kept all of her knowledge and covenants this time. It was a great visual way to explain this concept I thought. I want to do it as a FHE for my kids sometime.

2 comments:

  1. You are so brave, good job Jenni! That object lesson sounds great. Are you thinking of becoming a full time Seminary teacher? HA! Or gospel doctrine teacher eh? Love you, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I do enjoy subbing. It was fun. It was nice because there was a lesson plan and I just had to teach it. Making up my own would be a different story!

    ReplyDelete