Sunday, April 17, 2011

D & C 129 anyone???

The seminary teacher here had emergency surgery the other day. Since she will be out for a while my friend Danielle and I are subbing this week. I will be teaching Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday is section 129, about angels and how we know if it is an angel of God or of the adversary. I wondered why this is something they would need to know and found out that it was mostly something they taught back when Joseph had his vision. Others began to proclaim they had visions also. Joseph had to explain the difference so they knew if it was a "good" angel or not. One part suggested discussing Moses 1:12-22. I have always loved this chapter because of how Moses describes talking with God, then right after Satan came tempting him and he knew right away that it was different, he saw darkness, not light. He tells him "I can judge between him and thee." I feel like that's the most important part of the lesson to make sure they can discern between the two feelings and be able to "judge between" them.

In YW today I taught about our Legacy and those who went before us also. It was fun to talk with the girls about Book of Mormon heroes of theirs and what their legacy's are. I decided to play the song us girls wrote for Oma. I talked about her, Jeremy and Grandpa and about how others that go before us leave a Legacy no matter how old they are. I am so thankful for each of them and others, and each of you also! It's nice to have great examples all around me and in the scriptures to look to for strength.

5 comments:

  1. I know this isn't about the Book of Mormon, BUT I am just going to write about what I am studying even if I'm not where you guys are. Alright?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea! Wow, that's neat that you get to teach Seminary for a minute. That is interesting that they'd talk about that. I love you, thanks for sharing your knowledge/testimony!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's awesome that you get to sub in Seminary. Good luck with that. You'll do such a good job. I miss teaching YW, I always learned something from the lesson and always felt the Spirit. I'm happy we all wrote that song together, I used that in one of my lessons too. I love ya Jean, you're a good girl. Thanks for always sharing your testimony and for being a good example to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a fun experience subbing for Seminary teacher; I did that a time or two in Oregon. Section 129 was certainly needed to resolve some issues that occurred during the early days of the restoration of the Church. Wasn't the rainbow prophecy a result of Joseph Smith's petitions to the Lord, related to the Second Coming, around this time period also? Many members and non-members in our day have a hard enough time understanding the light of Christ versus the Holy Ghost, so D&C is a bit puzzling. The D&C is not so foreign from the Book of Mormon, but is an outgrowth of the early saints' questions related to establishing the Church; so I guess we can allow you to bring up this subject as part of the Book of Mormon studies were involved with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing that! What a neat experience, to be able to teach Seminary for a sec. The kids will love it too! And your lesson today sounded like a neat one. I love that song and am glad we have it. Love you!

    ReplyDelete