Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book of First Nephi

It appears that a summary of First Nephi is given by Nephi in 1 Nephi 1:1 - his parents were good teachers, and he was apparently a good student; he saw many afflictions in the course of his days, but through it all he felt he was "highly favored of the Lord" and "had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God", and he made a record, a testament of his sacred experiences.


I believe Elder Maxwell coined the phrase "hell-bent Laman and Lemuel", and based on Nephi's account it appears they were bound and determined to get there - hell! It appears that it all began with a heart murmur (hard hartedness), and that Laman and Lemuel "did murmur because they knew not the dealings of that God who had created them". They missed Jerusalem and did not believe it could be "destroyed according to the words of the prophets". External influences were soon ignored after they spent a little time reasoning-away wise counsel from their father, faithful brother, an angel and even a demonstration in God's ability to destroy them while at sea; yet they continued to murmur and disbelieve.


It appears that Laman and Lemuel may have been too entrenched in the society and life of ease they enjoyed in Jerusalem; a contemporary prophet, who most likely walked the streets of Jerusalem with Lehi was Jeremiah - chapter 24 of his book tells all about the "naughty figs" who lived in the city. Lehi appears to be a concerned father who petitioned the Lord about preserving his family from the decay he saw in society, and was led away just in time to escape the Babalonian captivity which occurred about 586 B.C.


A most favorite part in the First Nephi is chapter 19, verses 18-20, where he seems to relish in the saving grace of the Lord in preserving him from the destruction at Jerusalem. He calls on all of the house of Israel to "remember the Lord their Redeemer ... if it so be that they should obtain [the Book of Mormon]"; and tells of the "workings in the spirit, which doth weary me even that all my joints are weak, for those who are at Jerusalem". Remembering the Lord weekly during the Sacrament should be a practice for each of us in recalling the mercies of the Lord in our own lives.


I love you all, and hope you are all enjoying the Book of Mormon - it's true and very powerful!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I was beginning to think that Arik & I were the only ones reading. LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It surprises me that Laman and Lemuel "knew not the dealings of that God who had created them". They were born of goodly parents too. I think a lot of times people push the spirit, or light of Christ, away when they begin to feel it because it is more responsibly to follow that even if it would make them happier. And now I know why my joints are weak, because I'm so spiritual like Lehi! joking! Thanks for the posts Dad and Juli. I'll join you soon, don't worry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew something positive had to come out of weak joints! Ha. Dad, thanks for the summary. Loved it. Laman & Lemuel always surprise me as I read how awful they're being, how an angel comes and talks to them, they feel guilty and repent and then 5 minutes later they're back to the same stuff. Sheesh! But really, are we so different at times? Maybe not to those extremes; I've never bound any of my siblings or anything, but I think that we so quickly forget the feelings we have and the testimonies we've gained when we don't use them daily and instead have poor attitudes and make bad choices. I'm glad I was born of goodly parents! But as Jenni mentioned, Nephi and his brothers had the same parents, so it helps to have great examples and grow up being taught right from wrong, but it's proof right there that we're still responsible and will be accountable for the decisions we make. Our parents can teach us but not act for us. Scary thought and it makes me want my kids to never grow up!...or do what Lehi did and take them away from Society and go live in the wilderness! Maybe not, and if I suggested that Randy would be packing us up to move RIGHT NOW. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve and I were talking about the book of Nephi and how we are reading all of this from his point of view. Of course most of what he's going to write about is how mean his brothers are being to him and how they tease him for being the goody goody of the family. If I read back through my journals I'll probably read how Tiffany teased me and beat me up all the time. I'm thankful she didn't have a rope, she probably would have left me bound and helpless for Jenni or Juli to find me. hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT is funny Robyn! Haaaaaaaaaaaahahaha! Good point. When do we get to read Laman and Lemuels point of view?

    ReplyDelete
  6. First we'll see who's journal (if a war record was kept by Robyn or Tiffany) makes the best story; then we'll apply Moroni 10:4-5 to see if either account is TRUE. That's the one the angels will quote from....

    ReplyDelete