Friday, January 13, 2012

it's a new year!

so, let's read the book of mormon and discuss as we study our gospel doctrine lessons! i have learned while studying about lehi's vision that:

1 - iron rod leads to tree and fruit = word of God leads to His love and atonement of Christ.

2- mist of darkness (temptations) are put in our way so we will be blinded and not see the rod (scriptures), the tree( God's love), or the fruit (atonement/exaltation).

3 - satan doesn't want us to know that we are children of God, so the mist makes us depressed or compare ourselves/feel worthless. he doesn't want us to get married in the temple & have an eternal family, so the mist makes people think it's ok to have pre-marital or same sex relations. He doesn't want us to pay tithing or go to church or serve in callings, so the mist blinds us and we think, "I can't afford tithing", or I don't feel like going to church today, I need another day off! I don't want to have a calling, it's hard - I don't want to be Gospel Doctrine teacher! Are you kidding me?! (jk)
HE DOESN'T WANT US TO BE HAPPY! He wants us to be like him, and to let go of the rod & fall in the river of filthy water (the depths of hell), or get lost into strange, broad, forbidden paths.

So, press forward, CLINGING to the rod of iron. If we do that, we'll have the spirit with us, and God's love, be worthy of the atonement & BE HAPPY! Love you! Happy studying.

3 comments:

  1. Well Hello there! I have been loving studying the Book Of Mormon in Sunday School this year. I've always loved verse 30 in that chapter, which mentions the only group of people who held on the whole time and then when they got to the tree they fell and partook of the tree. I've always loved that visual and reminder that it's not easy, it's supposed to be exhausting. Anything is that is worthwhile. Because there's something about working so hard for something that you really want and know is so good that you would just do whatever. In seminary this week, I got to sub and we were talking about all the blessings we have that Heavenly Father has given to us, but we need to accept and choose do those things to achieve them. We compared it to when a little kid has to share a candy bar with their sibling and so they break it in half, wanting the bigger half. It's so yummy and it's MORE, why wouldn't you choose it?!!! We compared that to how it should be that easy to choose the gospel, the bigger part. It's all there for us, we just need to choose it. It was all from Joshua's awesome phrase "as for me and my house we will CHOOSE the Lord!" What a great guy! Thanks for your thoughts Juli. I hope your having fun with your calling and I'm excited to see more of what you are learning being the instructor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to look at it! True, true! And, I believe it's we will SERVE the Lord...right? But either way sounds good. Yesterday went good. I felt like we were constantly reading verses from the scriptures and worried that they would get bored. But I felt that it went really well, even though I still feel scatter brained! A guy in my ward came up after the lesson & told me he really appreciated that I taught from the scriptures...that made me happy & like I'm doing right by following the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved your comments, daughters. I've always looked at v. 30 a bit differently than exhaustion, since I don't consider expending much effort to do what little is required of me - just read the scriptures (hold to the rod). I've looked at the two groups who partake of the fruit (ashamed group in v. 24, and enduring group v. 30) as individuals who entered the temple and felt either "is that all there is", or felt "the peace that passeth all understanding". After Elder Holland pointed out that the tree was Jesus Christ, I could imagine those who fell at the tree falling in gratitude before his feet, bathing them with their tears at the love (Jesus Christ) God has given us in condescending to send His Son. I love the Book of Mormon; there is truly power in it to help us understand the Love of God, and the important part that Jesus Christ plays in our lives. I love you all for loving and serving Him. Thanks for sharing and serving.

    ReplyDelete